I've got a bit of a sweet tooth at the moment so my mind is fixed on...
I'll be trying to bake some of these pretties, the last time I tried it ended in a lot of mess and burnt macaroons! So I'll let you know how I get on. Heres the recipe for these gorgeous Strawberry Macaroons!
- 50g ground almonds
- 140g icing sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Pink food colouring paste
- 3 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
- 1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- 2. Sieve the ground almonds and icing sugar together into a large bowl. Put the egg whites into a separate bowl, and using an electric hand whisk, beat to soft peaks. Add the caster sugar, and whisk until glossy. Fold into the almond and icing sugar mixture, along with a very small amount of the pink food colouring. Mix until just combined and evenly pink – the mixture will reduce as the air bubbles in the meringue burst.
- 3. Put the mixture into a disposable piping bag, snip off 1cm from the end. Pipe small blobs (about 1 heaped teaspoon each) onto the baking paper, spaced apart, so you have about 50 in total. Set aside for 10 minutes to dry – this is important as it gives the macaroons the correct texture. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn the whole sheet of paper over – the macaroons will be stuck so won’t fall off. Bake for another 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- 4. Peel off the baking paper from the macaroons, then sandwich 2 together with a tiny blob of strawberry jam in the centre. Repeat to give you 25 in total.
And I'm also off to London this weekend to visit my sister, shopping on Brick Lane, getting inspiration at the V&A and hopefully visiting Liberty's for the first time!
Have fun this weekend, what do you like to do in London?