Babies First Birthday Cake Recipe
Lux turned 1 the other week (yay) and I wanted to celebrate by baking her her very own first birthday cake! I looked around for advice on cakes for babies (I figured a Dark Chocolate Rum cake would be inappropriate) and the general consensus was that sugar free cakes are best for little ones so I baked her this Sugar Free Carrot Cake with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting! Its perfect for any little bubas out there needing a little cake fix.
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) salt
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) orange juice or sugar free squash
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded carrots
- 2 cup (250 mL) golden raisins
Preheat oven to 350°F (180° C) and line your cake tin with grease proof paper. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan, then stir in 1 cup of raisins and the orange juice.
Turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, then stir in carrots and the rest of the raisins until combined. Transfer the mix to the prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes.
I thought the cake was a little dry (since theres no butter or eggs) and quite like a malt loaf but the taste was quite yummy.
Most importantly Lux loved her first birthday cake, I wonder what I'll be baking for her next year!