The Great Blogger Bake Off Week 1 - Cake!
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons of baking soda
- 3/4 cups of butter (softened)
- 2 2/3 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons on vanilla extract
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoons of salt
- 3 food colour gels (I used pink, red and green)
1. Separate the eggs whites and allow the whites to reach room temperature. You can use the yolks however you choose, I used mine for the lemon curd filling. Line a large cake tin with grease proof paper and preheat your oven to 180c (350 degrees F.)
2. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl whisk the butter on medium to high for about 30 seconds to become soft and fluffy. Add the sugar and vanilla until well combined. Add all the egg white and whisk for about 3 minutes. Slowly add the dry flour mix and buttermilk a cup at a time.
3. To create the marbled effect divide your cake batter into 3 bowls and add your chosen coloured food gels. I used pink, red and green but I don't think I added enough! I'd defiantly add more next time so the batter is brighter than this.
To make the lemon curd filling I used a recipe from my Meringue Girls Cookbook (I'm a big fan.) Its called the Cheats Lemon Curd and its pretty easy to make -hence why I made it! You'll need:
- 3 egg yolks (ones left over from the cake recipe)
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 150c. Whisk all the ingredients together and until frothy - about 4 minutes, pop in a baking tin and bake for 15 minutes or until firm. Leave to cool and enjoy! I think I over cooked mine but it tastes ACE! To fill the cake, use a bread knife to cut it in half, like a sandwich and spread the curd on with a spoon. Pop the top back on your cake and your ready to ice! Whoop!
For a smooth finish to your iced cake you need a smooth top. Using my bread knife I sliced the top off my cake (which I gobbled up) and was ready to ice!
To make the chocolate frosting you'll need:
- 1/2 cup of butter (softened)
- 170grams of cream cheese
- 140grams of dark chocolate (melted and cooled)
- 2 teaspoons on vanilla extract
- 4 cups of icing sugar
1. In a large bowl beat the cream cheese and butter together till smooth. Add the cooled chocolate and vanilla and beat together - this is basically chocolate cheesecake so feel free to try! I did! Gradually add the icing sugar (this takes a lot of arm power) until smooth and irresistible looking!
- 2/3 cups of butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of natural greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons on vanilla extract
- 6 cups of icing sugar
- Food colour gels (I used pink, green and blue together to make aqua and purple)
1. In a large mixing bowl whisk the butter, sour cream, yogurt and vanilla together. It might look like its curdled but stick with it! Gradually add the 6 cups of sugar until fluffy! This is the best tasting frosting I've EVER had!
2. To make different colours just separate your frosting and add your chosen colours! I chose:
Green and blue together to make aqua. These colours turned out so adorable, the perfect pastel shades, I love them!
I hope you enjoy watching the first episode of TGBBO, I'll be watching, munching away on my cake.
Don't forget you can check out more pictures on Instagram #thegreatbloggerbakeoff and you can get involved by visiting our Facebook page The Great Blogger Bake Off.
Heres some amazing tasty cakes that my fellow participating bloggers have baked! Check them out!
- Two Tier Chocolate Sponge Cake with Homemade Jam by Mumma Told Me So
- Raspberry, Rose & Turkish Delight Cake by Briar Rose
- Gluten Free Chocolate Olive Oil Cake by Bumpkin Betty
- Mini Pancake "Cake" by A Floral Crown
- Chocolate Orange Cupcakes by Daises and DMs
- Coffee and Walnut Cake by Just Like Heaven
- White Chocolate and Raspberry Cake by The Goodowl
- Lemon Yogurt Cake with Fresh Raspberries and Lemon laced Cream by Cocktails in Teacups
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes by Six Foot and Falling
- Summer Fruit Drizzle Cake by Blood, Sweat and Heels
- Blueberry Muffins by Tink Jayne
Next week... biscuits! Whoop! I already have a plan and its going to be magical!