This week of The Great Blogger Bake Off is European Cake week and it broke me. I set out to make a yummy Black Forest Gateau decorated with different shades of blue frosting to create a sea scape - but sadly this happened....
GATEAU DISASTER! It was going so well but you know what I learnt this week, don't put hot jam on fresh cream and chocolate sponge. Duh! I got my recipe from The BBC Good Food website and it did taste great.
The cake recipe was really lovely and pretty easy and the off cuts tasted yummy!
I was enjoying layering the gateau with homemade cherries stoked in Kirsch jam with whipped cream and my chocolate sponge.
As I added the layers I could see that the cake was starting to collapse in itself and I had no idea why!
I kept going hoping that it would be OK when...
gone! ARRR! I bake while Lux, my daughter naps so sometimes I have lots of time and sometimes I have none. She was starting to wake so I wanted to finish the laying quickly, I didn't realise that the jam was still cooling from when I made it and basically the cake melted!
I tried to save the cake by covering it in blue frosting but I didn't use enough icing sugar in the mix so it just dripped off. ARRRR! At this point I was pretty frustrated and miserable. I totally feel for Iain from show who threw his melted Baked Alaska in the bin! If this cake wasn't so tasty I might have done the same. I walked away, had a cuddle with Lux and got over it! I didn't want to waste it so it was time to make the most of this mess!
I decided to use ramekins to make a dessert. I stuffed the ramekins with the sponge, cream and cherries and pressed it down.
I then decorated them with the shades of blue frosting to create a "splash" effect for the mermaids tail.
I made the mermaids tails from white chocolate with pink food colouring, the shapes not great but at this point I was just pleased to be carrying on!
Then I made it all OK by sprinkling lots of edible glitter on them! That fixes everything! I also got these sweet little white pearls that are supposed to look like little bubbles, cute!
I might be munching on these during tonights episode of The Great British Bake Off (or I might treat myself and buy somthing) and you can follow mine and all the other baking bloggers progress on instgram #thegreatbloggerbakeoff.
Heres some actual European cake recipes made by the lovely, clever Great Blogger Bake Off bloggers:
- Sacher Torte by A Dash of Ginger
- White Chocolate and Raspberry Panettone by Daisies and DM's
- Torta Gianduia by Immy May
- Marble Cake by Nic Ooh La La
- Sacher Torte by Blood, Sweat and Heels
- Fraisier Cake by Briar Rose
- Rose Madeleines by Hannah Bakes Things
- Black Forest Gateau by Mumma told me so
- Swedish Princess Cake by The Baking Explorer
- Pink Macarons by Bumpkin Betty
Fancy some more baking? Take a look at my other Great Blogger Bake Off recipes here:
- Week 1 - Classic Marbled Vanilla Cake with Homemade Lemon Curd, Chocolate Frosting AND Vanilla Sour Cream Frosting
- Week 2 - Magical White Chocolate and Raspberry Unicorn Biscuits
- Week 3 - Rapunzel Plait Bread
- Week 4 - Elsa's Blueberry, White Chocolate and Popping Candy Cheesecake
- Week 5 - Queen of Hearts Trio of Tarts