Planning the Design Challenge!
Welcome to my first Design Challenge blog post! Whoop! This is gonna be one hell of a creative journey and I'm so happy your coming along for the ride! If you wanna know more about the challenge click here.
So before I start the challenge, which is to design and create a NEW jewellery collection every 2 months (when the most I've ever designed in a year by myself was 2) is to plan the thing! I not normally a very organised person who plans ahead but ion order for this to work I have to!
First, I roughly figured out how long it takes me to create a new collection, how many hours and days each process takes then I could work out how many collections I could make in a year. It kinda works out like this:
- Week 1 - Design week. Making a mood board on pinterest and in my sketchbook, sketching and finalising the designs.
- Week 2 - Artwork Prep. Transferring my sketchbook drawings onto the computer, creating them digitally ready to be laser cut.
- Week 3 - 1st Round of Prototypes. Send digital designs to Neil at the Bristol Design Forge for first look a laser cut designs. Check and make changes.
- Week 4 - 2nd Round of Prototypes. Check and finalise. Create cut sheets for Neil to laser cut.
- Week 5 - Laser Cutting!
- Week 6 - Making! Rainbows, Unicorns and Dreamers chose their pieces of jewellery from the collection before the collection goes on sale.
- Week 7 - Photography! Takes pictures, edit and upload them to the website as well as write the descriptions.
- Week 8 - LAUNCH! Advertise on social media. Pack orders and send off to new homes!
Repeat 6 times!
Once I have the weeks set out I can plan my days too and I'm not usually this organised so its super nice to look in my diary and know what I'm doing a whole 2 months ahead! It feels good to know I have a grip on things...hopefully!
But thats part of the challenge, seeing if it will work, what won't work, what changes I need to make and if it's even possible! Thats why I chose to do it on Patreon so my lovely patreons can come with me on my journey and give me that support and encouragement I need!
You can also watch this weeks video here!